- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon oil
In medium bowl, stir or sift dry ingredients together; beat egg, buttermilk, brown sugar and oil together. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened; batter should be slightly lumpy.
Pour ¼ cup batter for each cake onto a well-seasoned hot griddle. Flip the pancake when bubbles appear on surface; turn only once.
- Omit soda, use 2 teaspoons baking powder and omit salt
- Substitute 1 and 1/3 cup 1% milk w/1Tbsp. lemon juice or white vinegar added for buttermilk.
- Add ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Serve hot, chunky, spiced applesauce or thick fruit sauce over cakes instead of syrup for extra nutrition and fiber.
Servings: Makes 12 4-inch pancakes
Nutrition: Each pancake provides approximately: 78 calories, 3 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g fat (0 g saturated), 19 mg cholesterol, 9 mcg folate, 1 mg iron, 178 mg sodium.
Source: Wheat Foods Council